Monday, July 23, 2012

Negative Margins!

I don’t have much time for a good post, but wanted to update you all about Walter’s exciting medical drama (background here and here). I got the call from the vet letting me know that Walter’s margins were negative, which is basically the most positive possible outcome. It means that it is unlikely that any cancer was left in his mouth when they cut out the side portion of his jaw. It also means, since the path came back as a sarcoma, that he doesn’t need any further treatment. Walter is a survivor! (I apologize if that term is offensive to anyone who is a human cancer survivor… I don’t mean to demean your experience at all.)

He is basically back to being himself, as you can see below. The primary side effect from the surgery is that he can’t eat things as efficiently as previously, which is great. Those of you who have ever seen him eat anything know that he used to inhale food and other random semi-edible objects. Now it takes a minute, which gives me a fighting chance…

You can hardly see where the teeth are missing...

Unchanged love of sleeping in clean laundry. Only now he sticks his tongue out as if to spite me...

Climbing rocks and having fun, just like pre-op.

Ever the snuggler...

No comments:

Post a Comment