Tuesday, July 12, 2005

San Francisco Part #3

Well, it's been quite some time since we were actually in San Francisco, but for those of you who require this kind of closure (me!!!), I thought I'd post one last update. On Sunday, we went to the Pride Parade. It was a bit of a let down for me, as Showtime was by far the biggest sponsor (maybe MGD?) and there were a lot of politicians in cars. But I love the babies, so that part was good. Lots of cute babies.

After the parade we went and saw Bitch, formerly of Bitch and Animal. Am I remembering correctly that Animal was/is dating Susan Powter? At any rate, she was pretty good, and I'm a sucker for anyone with an electric violin...

We went up to Fisherman's Wharf to catch our boat out to Alcatraz, and also had some dinner. It felt much more frenzied than that, I'm not sure why, but it did. Also, Alcatraz was really cool. We went in the evening, so it was all dusky and nice. The cell house wasn't as creepy as I expected, and I got the impression that Alicia was a little underwhelmed. We did get to hear them open and close the cell doors, however, which was loud and cool. This is apparently why they called it "the slammer." Our tour guide said that it was particularly those doors, the ones at Alcatraz, because they were the first ones of their kind ever. Such excitement.

Finally, as we were walking around the island, and seagull attacked us. Now, I'm not a huge fan of birds as it is, but I was really quite terrified. We were walking up a little road, and there were some cute little seagull-lings (baby seagulls, whatever those are called). We walked up the road, in theory past the baby birds. Their mom didn't think that we were far enough away, and I ran like there wouldn't be a tomorrow. I felt the need to warn another tourist headed down that way, though I think she was more afraid of me (picture me panting from the run, trying to explain that the seagull farther down the road might attack her)...

At any rate, Alcatraz was a hit, even though we didn't get back until late. Monday we got up and packed and caught BART back to the airport. It was pretty uneventful (thankfully, given the excitement of getting here). Mom picked us up at the airport, and that was that.

I was like a zombie at work on Tuesday, but that was to be expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment