Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Catch-Up

Somehow, in the midst of rotating with the midwives, a family wedding, and two board exams, the blog was a bit neglected last month. Oh, and the month before because of the ICU… Sorry! Here is a quick catch-up post to share some fun things that I did but didn’t blog about.

1. Hell’s Kitchen. I went to Minneapolis to see my lovely cousin get married, and in doing so got to see my mom and sister, among others. On the Saturday morning before the wedding, we decided to try Hell’s Kitchen, advertised as the most amazing place since sliced bread. We’d gotten mixed reviews from some, but wanted to check it out. It did not live up to the hype. I got the huevos rancheros, which were by far the best of anyone’s breakfasts, and they were fine. Not amazing, but fine.


2. Creamy Turnip Soup. This was an adaptation of Mark Bittman’s Creamy Carrot Soup, and used up many of the turnips that my CSA so vigorously produced. It was delicious, and delightfully simple. Sautee a chopped onion and as many turnips as you wish (or carrots, in which case you may wish to add a potato) until they are just tender. Add about 5-6 cups of water or stock and cook until the vegetables are soft. Use an immersion blender to make it smooth, and season with salt and pepper.


3. A lovely picture of peas. Nothing more to say, just wanted to share this pretty picture from my CSA back in June. Join a CSA here!

3 comments:

  1. I love my CSA so much I signed up for a fall share! :D Also, just wanted to put it out there: you helped me "decide" on UM back during 2nd Look, 4 years ago this November, at dinner at Conor's. I randomly thought of that when I saw the MSTP interview email today and your food posts now. So, hey, you're awesome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet of you to say Ania - I know that Michigan has a lot going for it, but it's nice to hear that my recruiting (of other awesome people, I might add) has not been for naught!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:32 PM

    I am sure you have taken some pictures of Walter, too, during your rotation...

    ReplyDelete