Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Knitting in the new (M4) year

I’ve been on vacation now for a full week, and I must say that I am enjoying it. Although I generally like my vacations filled with tightly scheduled relaxing activities, I think I’ve had enough time off that I’ve been able to genuinely take it easy. I had a few things that had to be accomplished during the first few days of my break, and now that the manuscript is submitted and the abstracts are reviewed, I have been catching up on all of the amazing television-watching and knitting that I have not done over the past few months. What I have been working on and planning:

The wedding afghan: When my oldest friend announced she was getting married, I knew I needed to do something awesome. I love to make something beautiful and functional for a wedding, and while this often results in lovely dishcloths or winter socks (to remind the couple to enjoy even the small things), I just didn’t think that would be enough. I started looking at afghan patterns in spite of the fact that Laura lives in Miami, and finally found a throw I loved that would work in a cotton blend. I’ve finished it, and although it’s a tiny bit smaller than I’d hoped (maybe I just imagined that a throw was larger…), it’s lovely and I think it will serve them well.

The someday sweater: Perhaps this has been ill-fated from the beginning, but it is shaping up nicely. I’ve knit the entire body, knit and ripped out the neck edging once, and planned for the sleeves and finishing several times over the past several months. The current plan includes dropping and fixing a few stitches down the front, ripping back the bottom and adding a little ribbing, and then using ribbing for the neck as well. It is proving to truly be a someday sweater…

Other gifts: In the interest of not stealing the thunder from various other friends or spoil any surprises, I will simply say that I am working on several wedding and baby gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment