Saturday, March 26, 2011

Winter of Detroit Warms Up

Last week Alicia and I headed down to the D to transition our Winter of Detroit into Spring of Detroit. (As an aside, clearly the Michigan weather is confused about that transition, but my hopes are high that it will really be spring soon…) I know I’d heard about Small Plates before, but had never tried it out. Alicia snagged a great Groupon, and we were on our way to distract me from my impending defense. It was really quite delicious. For those of you unfamiliar with it, they feature a variety of appetizers and easily divisible entrees, and your table comes set with a stack of, yes, small plates. Everyone shares in the slightly-fancier-than-family-style family style. What we ordered:
  • Caesar Salad (small)
  • Veggie Spring Rolls
  • Garlic Shrimp
  • Chicken-Something Lettuce Wraps (I didn’t eat these…)
  • French Fries

The salad was great, as were the spring rolls and the shrimp. I’d have to say that I could take or leave the fries, which was a bit disappointing. Overall, it was an enjoyable dinner!

I did not remember to bring my camera, but will leave you with a disturbing phone photo of the graffiti I saw on the way in. (Please accept my apology for posting a picture of graffiti in a post about Detroit - it's overdone and annoying, but this one relates to my academic work!)

Nothing has ever inspired me to think and talk about masculinity and the criminal justice system quite like this.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how right you are. Do you get the Free Press? THere was a great (not really, but it was true to KK)article about him last week or so. Masculinity/responsibility/all other things I won't mention/

    You have a GREAT topic ahead of you, my dear!

    ReplyDelete