Sunday, June 19, 2011

CSA Weeks 2 and 3

M3 year seems to be getting the better of me in terms of blog posts, but I wanted to share more of the CSA bounty photos… Here is the haul from two weeks ago:

And then this week (minus the strawberries I devoured before taking the photo):

I made a really delicious saag paneer, which was a little complicated but so worth it for the deliciousness.

Also amazing but much simpler is a yogurt chutney that I love, both because it is delicious and because it accommodates almost any greens/herbs left over in the refrigerator and the end of the week.

Yogurt Chutney with Pureed Greens
Adapted from 1,000 Indian Recipes by Neelam Batra

1 teaspoon Chaat Masala (I like the MDH brand, as it contains too many different things for me to make it myself)
4 quarter-sized slices of peeled fresh ginger
3-4 scallions, chopped
1 green chile or a sprinkling of dried ground cayenne
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh herbs in any proportion (I’ve tried cilantro, mint, parsley, dill, basil, peppermint, lemon balm… I've considered adding a little spinach or kale as well...)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt

In the food processor, mince together the ginger, scallions, and green chile (if you’re using a fresh one). Set aside a few fresh herbs for garnish if you like, and add the rest of the fresh herbs and lemon juice, and process until smooth. Add the chaat masala, salt, pepper, and cayenne (if you’re using dried). Add half the yogurt and blend until smooth. Artfully stir this mixture into the other half of the yogurt, or process the rest of the yogurt into the chutney, depending on how much time you have and how you wish to serve it. Garnish with the fresh herbs if you like.

Enjoy as a dip for vegetables, chips, and breads, as an accent with lentils, or as a side with potatoes. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment