Thursday, January 10, 2013

Amazing voicemails…

For the past several years, every time I’ve listened to my voicemail I’ve also resaved several messages that I just couldn’t bear to delete. Several of them feature one of my best friends singing customized songs for and about me. Many of them feature my hilarious mother. And none of them should ever disappear. When I got a new phone in the fall, I was initially worried that I would lose my precious voicemails. Once I realized that they were tied to my phone number, and not my phone, however, I could rest assured that they were safe. At least for now. I would occasionally worry that I’d push the wrong button and then hang up, losing my message forever, and wonder why there wasn’t a way to transfer these gems to a more permanent home. Apparently Google Voice offers better ways to manage your voicemails, but regular old cell service does not offer a particularly smooth or easy way to transfer voicemails to mp3 files or some format that another program can read. I finally found this page, which explains how to record your voicemails with reasonably high quality into mp3 or other audio format files, and did it this morning.

For your listening pleasure, I present this little treasure, recorded immediately following my mom's dissertation defense in 2010...

No comments:

Post a Comment